Thursday, April 19, 2012

My House First




This is MY house!  It was built in 1963.  Two additions were added in the 70's.  One over the garage on the right and a dining room on the left back of the house.  It is filled with built ins and has great 4x6 construction.  I love the mid-century details.  But I wasn't sold on the curb appeal when we first saw it.




The bushes were all overgrown.  Some as tall as the roof.  I wasn't sure I liked the very obvious boxy 60's vibe.






By our first spring, some of the roof-high bushes had been trimmed down.  But then a weird planting of yarrow had taken over most of the flower beds.  A rustic swing that came with the house was still on the front porch.




We cleared away most of the overgrown plantings.  Then we painted the front door red.  Something all of our neighbors loved.  And put new modern numbers on the house and a sleek black rocker bench.  We are happy with our improvements so far.  And they seem to match the character of the house.


I chose to feature my own house first.  Mostly because it was the closest house to photograph.  But also because if I'm going to examine, critique, and expose other people's homes, I better allow the same for mine.  I don't think my home is terribly unique.  But it does represent an era of building.  An era I have come to love and respect.




P.S.  I was surprised to find a photo of my house back when it was new!  We knew there had once been a deck above the garage that a second story was built onto---but getting to see it before all the giant pine trees had been planted and grown up is very fun!  No shutters yet or anything!


Parcel Photo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!